What are the most common lies told by programmers?

Most answers are variants of:


  • This is hacky, but I'll fix it soon.
  • This task will be easy.
  • I'm almost done.
  • If there's a bug, it can't possibly be in my code.
  • I'll add the Unit Test case in the next release.
  • I'll comment and document my code later.
  • It's not a bug, it's a feature.
  • I will finish it by evening it's almost done.
  • Works on my machine
  • It's 90% done
  • I'm deeply investigating requirements. Will start development soon.
  • It's just a temporary solution, it won't be used in production.
  • I'll add it to the TODO list
  • I think it's a browser issue.
  • I will start from monday
  • It's done just remained testing
  • This is easy, it will take a week.
  • It was working yesterday, but have not idea, why it isn't working right now!
  • I can handle it. No worries !!
  • It's the user's fault!
  • Works perfectly on my system, may be your systems fault


Lie: "It's just a prototype."

Translation: This code is totally going to be used in the final project, unless it clogs up so much that we are literally forced to rewrite it (which won't take nearly as much time and is always worth it anyways).

Lie: "I can totally have that out in like 3 days, tops."

Translation: Two weeks.

Lie: "I can't do that."

Translation: I probably can, and it may actually not take me that long, but I have no clue how at the moment so I don't want to sign myself up for it if I can help it.

Lie: "Hey, whatever you want."

Translation: I hate that you want this pain in the ass to implement feature that will add so little.

Lie: "We anticipate that it will be out by 2Q."

Translation: 4Q.
Share on Google Plus

About Salman Ahmed Rajput

Hi I am Salman Ahmed, nicknamed as "Sam". I am a technology lover and also a Web Developer. My favorite programming language is PHP which means I usually develop web apps in PHP. Wanna Follow ? Yes? You can follow me at https://facebook.com/Sam.programer
https://twitter.com/SalmanRajz.
    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Forget to Share and Comment